Elyra Memorial Hospital and Gates Hospital for Crippled Children, Elyra, Ohio
The History of the Defiance Area Society for the Handicapped
1919-- Ohio Crippled Children Society started in Elyria, Ohio The one man most responsible for the society's formation was Edger F. Allen, whose own son had been injured several years before in a street car collision. Allen's son died for lack of medical facilities. The Crippled Children Society was the first formal organization for helping physically handicapped children. There were few medical or rehabilitation facilities available at the time and the public knew virtually nothing of the problems of the crippled. As the need became known, new crippled children's societies sprang up in other states.
1921-- Ohio Crippled Children Society became the National Society for Crippled Children To unify the activities of these groups, made up of lay people, orthopedic surgeons and other physicians, the society in 1921 became the National Society for Crippled Children. The words "and Adults" were added to the name in 1944 in recognition of the fact that the goals of the society had always included services to adults as well as children.
1921-- Defiance County Society for Crippled Children & Adults is organized by Frank Hall and Virgil Squire The Defiance County Society for Crippled Children and Adults was first organized when Frank Hall and Virgil Squire attended the annual meeting of the Ohio Society for Crippled Children and Adults in Toledo, Ohio in October of 1921. They were representatives of the Defiance Rotary Club. Total registrations included 77 rotarians, all of which were representing local Rotary clubs. The first clinic sponsored by the Defiance Rotary Club was held in the Masonic Temple on December 8, 1922. Ninety-eight children had been located by the Crippled Children's committee of which W.P. Wallace was chairman. Each member of the club was given responsibility for one or more children. They needed to transport them to the clinic and follow through afterward. Seventy-three of the children were present for the examination. Local doctors and nurses helped to obtain complete histories of the children and to recieve recommendations for treatments.
1967-- The name changed to Easter Seals The name changed in 1967 incorporating Easter Seal. This change was a clear reflection of the public's awareness and acceptance of the society's traditional campaign symbol. The Defiance County Easter Seal Society was a voluntary agency providing direct medical services, information and referral services, a summer speech, clinic, public education programs, camperships, equipment loans, and many other services. They also sponsored a year-round recreational program for the physically limited and their families. All programs and services were financed through public donations to the Easter Seal campaign, membership drive, memorials, and special gifts.
1989-- The Defiance Area Society for the Handicapped (DASH) was formed after the group disaffiliated from Easter Seals Disaffiliation from Easter Seals took place on September 1, 1989.